Simple Joys: December 2017
Today's post is the fourth installment of the series Simple Joys where I name off a few things from the past month that brought me immense joy. Most items fall into the following categories: Food and Drink, Home Decor and Products, Entertainment, Health and Beauty, Clothing and Accessories, and - last but certainly not least - Priceless. I'd like to use these posts as a way to implement more gratitude into my days, weeks, months, and seasons. If you're feeling up for it, I'd love to hear about some of your simple joys from the passing month down in the comments. Ready to rock 'n roll? Let's hop to it!
Food and Drink
- Venti Triple Latte from Starbucks - This has been my go-to beverage from Starbucks as of late. It's three shots of espresso (are your eyes bulging yet?) and steamed milk - so simple and delightful. If I chose to go inside and order my drink, I'll usually add a few dashes of cinnamon, as well. Yum!
Home Decor and Products
- Vera Bradley Laptop Backpack - I've been traveling more frequently over the past couple of months, and this backpack has been so useful during lengthy road trips. It has a large and medium-sized opening, as well as a spacious, zipped-up pocket for your laptop or tablet. I purchased this backpack about five years ago, so - unfortunately - Vera Bradley doesn't sell it anymore. They do, however, offer a similar-ish style (how adorable is that print?) that still has all of the same bells and whistles as mine.
- Hydro Flask Insulated, Wide-Mouth, Stainless Steel Water Bottle in Copper Brown, 32-Ounces - I've had this puppy since early 2015, and it's still my absolute favorite water bottle. It'll keep your beverages hot or cold for hours. Like, hours. Because it's double-walled and made of premium grade, BPA-free stainless steel, the exterior of the bottle doesn't sweat (#BlessUp). In addition, there's lots of different lids to choose from if you're not a fan of the typical flat cap lid. My favorite one to use with this bottle is the flip top lid!
- The Crown, Season Two - This series is simply the best. I (and many, many others) waited eleven months for the second season to release onto Netflix, and it certainly didn't disappoint once it was available. Compared to the first season, it's heavier on geopolitics (duh) and the tensions of Elizabeth and Philip's marriage and relationship (duh). The only qualm that I have is the shoddy casting and appearance (i.e. dialogue, accents, mannerisms, etc.) of President John F. Kennedy and First Lady Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy. For anyone who's even remotely familiar with the two, the misrepresentations are truly embarrassing.
- Pride and Prejudice (2005) - I absolutely love this film adaptation. Everything from the beautiful musical score to creepy Mr. Collins is just so enjoyable. My sister and I watched Pride and Prejudice while baking and decorating cookies (more on that below!), and we had quite a bit of fun impersonating Mrs. Bennet and Lydia. "Have you no mercy on my poor nerves?!"
Health and Beauty
- Clarisonic Mia 1, Sonic Facial Cleansing Brush System in "Millennial Pink" - This little tool makes exfoliating my face so much easier. I use it every other day with my favorite cleanser, and it doesn't irritate my skin one bit. Speaking of, I also use the brush head for sensitive skin. I found that the original brush head that was included with my Mia 1 was too harsh for my skin, so I purchased the brush that was marketed for more "delicate" skin. It works great, and I highly recommend the brush system to anyone who's looking for an easier and more efficient way to exfoliate.
- Making LOTS of delicious cookies with my oldest sister - We had been meaning to make homemade sugar cookies for months, and we finally had time to whip them up over the holidays! They were absolutely delightful. We cut them out into different Christmas-y shapes and decorated them with a light, whipped icing and sprinkles (my favorite!). We also made molasses cookies, which are some of our absolute favorites. Before baking them, we topped them off with large, sugar crystal sprinkles, which gave the cookies a nice crunch! Needless to say, I was sad when the cookie tin was empty.
- Spending New Year's Eve with my boyfriend, Patrick - Since we started dating in 2015, we've made an effort to celebrate the New Year together. This year, we took it easy and cooked up an awesome, cozy dinner of steak, salad, potatoes, and bread to take our minds off of the chilly weather outside. It was, like, 15 degrees with a windchill! Brr. Oh, we also watched about three seasons of Parks and Recreation. It was everything that I've ever wanted (and more!) for a lovely New Year's Eve.
What did you do during the month of December? Leave me a comment below - I'd love to know!
Thank you so much for reading! If you'd like to keep up with me on social media, you can find me on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, and Goodreads. For more fun and interesting content, check out my YouTube channel! If you’d like to be alerted whenever I publish a new post, you can follow me on Bloglovin’. Are you a blogger too? Let me know the name of your blog - I'd love to check it out!