Simple Joys: October 2017
Today's post is the second installment of the series Simple Joys where I name off a few of my favorite things from the past month across the following categories: Food and Drink, Home Decor and Products, Entertainment, Health and Beauty, Clothing and Accessories, and - last but certainly not least - Priceless. I'd like to use these posts as a way to implement more gratitude into my days, weeks, months, and seasons. If you're feeling up for it, I'd love to hear about some of your favorite things from the passing month down in the comments. Ready to rock 'n roll? Let's hop to it!
Food and Drink
- Tazo Glazed Lemon Loaf Dessert Delights Tea - I’ve haven’t felt this strongly about a tea blend since I had my first cup of Earl Grey back in 2012. It’s the most magical, seamless blend of lemon and vanilla. It’s neither too sweet nor acidic, and it smells divine (like an actual slice of lemon pound cake). Since my first sip, I’ve managed to hoard three extra boxes of it because I simply don’t want to be without it.
- H-E-B Naturals Gluten-Free Frozen Breaded Chicken Chunks - In an effort to eat more quick and healthy meals this month, I’ve been adding a handful of sliced-up, baked chicken to large salads. I’m not gluten intolerant, but I’ve found that the gluten-free variety is significantly tastier (and crunchier) than the normal breaded chicken. It’s delightful!
Home Decor and Products
- 2018 PowerSheets Intentional Goal-Planner from the Cultivate What Matters Shop - I’ve been using a 6-month set of PowerSheets since July, and I’m absolutely in love with them. If you don’t know what PowerSheets are, it’s basically a workbook where you map out, break down, and keep track of your short-term and long-term goals. After using it almost daily for the past five months, I’ve developed productive habits and cultivated meaningful goals that branch across all areas of my life. PowerSheets hold me accountable in a way that no planner, online course, or self-help book can. With that being said, I purchased and received the brand spankin’ new 2018 PowerSheets this month! I can’t wait to dig into the “Goals” section on December 4th with the Cultivate What Matters team. YAY!
- BBC’s The Royal Collection DVD Box Set - I’ve been eyeballin’ this collection on Amazon for a year, and I ran across it this month at my local Half Price Books for a whopping $10.00. It contains four, fairly in-depth separate documentaries that all pertain to some aspect of the British royal family. I’m a bit of an Anglophile, so this DVD set has been right up my alley!
Health and Beauty
- Honest Company Hypoallergenic Shampoo and Body Wash (Sweet Vanilla Orange Scent) - I love using baby shampoo to wash my hair. It’s clarifying, gentle, and usually free of toxic ingredients that are often found in non-baby hair care products. I had used Burt’s Bees Baby Shampoo and Wash for over a year (and loved it!), but wanted to try something different. So, I picked up the Honest Company’s Shampoo at Target and tested it out. The verdict? It’s awesome and smells so dang good. It lathers well and leaves my hair soft and silky, even without using a conditioner. Baby or not, I highly recommend this product!
- Rosemary Mint Hand and Body Lotion from the Gruene Witch Apothecary - I bought a bergamot-scented lotion from this shop last year and loved the formula, so I decided to grab another bottle at my local farmer’s market this month. The scent is refreshing and revitalizing, especially after taking a hot shower. I’m familiar with all of the ingredients featured on the label, which is always a good feeling. Most of them are organic and/or Fair Trade certified, so that’s an added plus! It’s a great, lightweight lotion for everyday application that doesn’t leave you feeling sticky or greasy - just moisturized.
Clothing and Accessories
- Dearfoam Carol Cable Knit Scuff Slippers - I’ve had the same slippers for seven years, and I finally decided to search for a new pair at Target this month. These slippers are everything I’ve ever wanted in a pair of house shoes - soft, supportive, and they don’t make my feet sweat. Oh, and they were only $13. SCORE! They have a hard bottom, so you could wear them to go grab the newspaper or check your mailbox or something (if that’s your jam). I chose the “burgundy” color, although it’s really a rich eggplant. If you’re looking for a new pair of slippers, definitely check these out on your next trip to Target!
- Minnie Mouse Fleece Jacket - At first glance, this jacket is like a GIANT exclamation point - bold, exciting, and loud. I had seen it around at my local Disney Store a couple of times but didn’t buy it because I thought it would be way too warm to wear in my apartment. Well, I’m happy to report that it’s not a personal oven and it’s extremely comfortable. Maybe one day I’ll get to sport it while walkin’ down Main Street U.S.A. at Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party (assuming that it’s chilly, of course)...
- Crisp, cool fall weather - Central Texas had its first (and hopefully not last) cold front of the season toward the end of October, and it was ah-maz-ing. We had temperatures dip into the 30s at night, which is hard to come by before November in Texas. Even though it only lasted for a few days, I loved getting to wear my favorite sweaters, jeans, and Bean Boots while the chill stuck around.
What did you do during the month of October? Leave me a comment below - I'd love to know!
Thank you so much for reading! If you'd like to keep up with me on social media, you can find me on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, and Goodreads. For more fun and interesting content, check out my YouTube channel! If you’d like to be alerted whenever I publish a new post, you can follow me on Bloglovin’. Are you a blogger too? Let me know the name of your blog - I'd love to check it out!