Simple Joys: November 2017
Today's post is the third installment of the series Simple Joys where I name off a few things from the past month that brought me immense joy. Most items fall into the following categories: Food and Drink, Home Decor and Products, Entertainment, Health and Beauty, Clothing and Accessories, and - last but certainly not least - Priceless. I'd like to use these posts as a way to implement more gratitude into my days, weeks, months, and seasons. If you're feeling up for it, I'd love to hear about some of your simple joys from the passing month down in the comments. Ready to rock 'n roll? Let's hop to it!
Food and Drink
- Central Market Pumpkin Spice Sandwich Cookies - Being an avid pumpkin lover, I bought these out of curiosity from my local H-E-B. Let me tell you - they did not disappoint. They’re a little sweet and a little salty, which was a bit of a surprise upon taking my first bite. Also, the pumpkin spice flavor was delicious. I doubt they’ll offer these cookies year ‘round, so I’m sad to see them go!
- Peppermint Chocolate Chip Milkshake from Chick-fil-A - This is the perfect milkshake to satisfy your holiday sweet tooth. It has little bits of candy cane and chocolate chips sprinkled all throughout vanilla ice cream. Oh, and it’s garnished with a cherry and a healthy dosage of whipped cream on top. It’s definitely sweet but oh-so good (and festive!). If you’d like to grab one for yourself, it’ll be available at Chick-fil-A locations until January 6th, 2018.
Home Decor and Products
- BLACK+DECKER CHV1410L 16V Cordless Lithium Hand Vacuum - I live in a super tiny apartment with two cats, so I needed a vacuum that wouldn’t take up much space and still get the job done. This little sucker does just that! It’s fantastic for gathering hair, pet dander, dust, cat litter, and dirt, and it’s incredibly easy to empty and clean the canister and filter. The battery holds a charge for about 16 minutes or so, which is enough for me to vacuum my entire apartment with some charge to spare. My cats aren’t huge fans of it but I, on the other hand, adore it.
- Capital Gaines: Smart Things I Learned While Doing Stupid Stuff by Chip Gaines - I love this book for its authenticity, vulnerability, and belly-laughin’ humor (duh). If you have a strong desire to pursue what the Lord put you on this Earth to do, pick this book up. Chip delivers a gentle yet assertive big ole kick in the rear to every reader who decides to take his message to heart. It’s a quick read that packs a punch!
- BBC’s Pride and Prejudice Series (1995) - Gosh, I love this series. I think I love it more than the Pride and Prejudice film with Kiera Knightley. It just tells the story much more effortlessly. Plus, Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy. Need I say more? If you’d like to watch this series, you can find it on AmazonPrime Video.
- BBC’s Emma Series (2009) - Okay, I really loved this series too. Emma is such a fantastic story, and BBC really let the characters and storyline shine. Romeo’s Garai played Emma so well, and I loved watching Michael Gambon as Mr. Woodhouse. If you’d like to watch this series, you can find it on AmazonPrime Video.
- PBS’s Victoria Series (Season One) - Goodness gracious - I’m in love. Victoria is my new obsession while The Crown is filming. While there are certainly some historical inaccuracies (TIP: If you want to learn, read a book and if you want to be entertained, watch a show/film), I thought the acting, costume and set design, and storyline were captivating. Also, Prince Albert is the newest addition to my “Historical Hotties” list, so that’s a definite bonus. If you’d like to watch this series, you can find it on AmazonPrime Video.
- Texas Country Music - Randy Rogers, Wade Bowen, Kacey Musgraves, Josh Abbott Band, Pat Green, the Dixie Chicks, and - last but certainly not least - the King of Country, George Strait. I love ‘em all!
Health and Beauty
- Pumpkin Spice Handcrafted Soap from the Gruene Witch Apothecary - I’ve been using this soap all month long. It lathers well, doesn’t dry my skin out, and smells like a spicy pumpkin pie. In addition, it doesn’t contain any harsh or toxic ingredients. It’s an all-around win!
- Assisting my older sister with preparing Thanksgiving dinner - As you may or may not already know, I LOVE Thanksgiving. It’s easily my favorite holiday. This year was my sister’s third year hosting Thanksgiving dinner, and it was absolutely delightful. The food was plentiful and delicious, and the weather was sunny and cool. I helped prepare some dishes (i.e. veggie tray, green bean casserole, apple crisp, etc.) but my sister really did most, if not all, of the cooking. Food was shared, laughs were had, and memories were made - a perfect Thanksgiving.
- The Houston Astros Winning the World Series - As a Houston native, I can’t even begin to express how exciting this achievement is for my hometown. The Bayou City went through Hell and back just three months ago (and is still rebuilding), and here we are today - the 2017 World Series Champions! It was so much fun watching the Astros play this season, especially with their unique team energy and dynamics. This year has shown the city, nation, and world that no matter what, we’ll always be #HoustonStrong.
What did you do during the month of November? Leave me a comment below - I'd love to know!
Thank you so much for reading! If you'd like to keep up with me on social media, you can find me on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, and Goodreads. For more fun and interesting content, check out my YouTube channel! If you’d like to be alerted whenever I publish a new post, you can follow me on Bloglovin’. Are you a blogger too? Let me know the name of your blog - I'd love to check it out!