Book Review: Everything I Need to Know I Learned From a Disney Little Golden Book by Diane Muldrow
I love Little Golden Books. If you've reviewed any of my book hauls, this statement probably doesn't come as much of a surprise to you. They're so sweet and charming, and I adore all of the colorful illustrations. Random House, the publisher of Little Golden Books, recently released a series which features treasured classics that support an overall theme or message (i.e. love, Christmas, Disney, family, etc.). I picked up this little gem at Paper Source several months ago, and knew that I wanted to share it with y'all on the blog. Here's a summary of Everything I Need to Know I Learned From a Disney Little Golden Book, as provided by Amazon:
Have you forgotten how to see the magic in the world around you? To get that childlike sparkle back in your life, look no further than timeless Disney Little Golden Books! Featuring illustrations from classic favorites such as Cinderella, Frozen, Dumbo, Peter Pan, The Lion King, Snow White, Finding Nemo, Sleeping Beauty, and Cars, this inspirational hardcover collection helps readers of all ages rediscover the enchanting power of Disney and those Little Golden Books with shiny foil spines that we all grew up with! The perfect gift, this book will have you clapping for Tinker Bell and more.
Five things that I loved about this book:
- It's an easy read. Even though the book is 96-pages long, there's no more than ten words on a single page. It's a quick yet meaningful read, which makes it a perfect coffee table book or gift for the ardent Disney fan in your life.
- The lovely and diverse illustrations. All of the drawings are sourced from original Disney Little Golden Books, some of which date back to the early 1940s. Because of this, each illustration is unique in its own special way - composition, medium, color, etc. I love the sketch-like (i.e. Toy Story) drawings, as well as the mixed media (i.e. Cinderella) and digital (i.e. The Princess and the Frog) designs. They're all so beautiful to look at, and they truly encompass all of the magic and wonder of Disney.
- The overall message. To sum it up, it's an inspiring, timeless, feel-good read. Does it get any better than that? The author, Diane Muldrow, provides an uplifting, go-follow-your-dreams narrative alongside illustrations that are featured across various Disney Little Golden Books, like Cinderella, Toy Story, and Tangled. It's easy to be transported back to the triumphs, pitfalls, and conclusions of each film while reading this sweet, little book. It's a delight!
- You have to read it more than once. This might sound a bit odd but it's true! Each time I pick up this book, I find a detail or two (usually in the artwork) that I didn't notice before. Between the motivational message and wonderful illustrations, it's definitely a book to read over and over again.
- The inclusion of some less popular (but fantastic!) Disney and Disney-Pixar films. Along with the well-known classics and modern films, everything from Ratatouille, Funny Little Bunnies, The Sword in the Stone, The Princess and the Frog, Melody Time, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Fox and the Hound, The Three Caballeros, and The Rescuers are featured. As someone who appreciates the history, animation, and talent behind all of these films, I was exceedingly happy to see them grace the pages of this book.
Mackenzie's Rating: 5/5 - Colorful, nostalgic, and meaningful.
Tell me - are you planning on reading Everything I Need to Know I Learned From a Disney Little Golden Book? If you've already read it, what were some of your favorite illustrations? Write me a comment below and let me know! I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Thank you so much for reading! If you'd like to keep up with me on social media, you can find me on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, and Goodreads. For more fun and interesting content, check out my YouTube channel! If you’d like to be alerted whenever I publish a new post, you can follow me on Bloglovin’. Are you a blogger too? Let me know the name of your blog - I'd love to check it out!
Photo source of Everything I Need to Know I Learned From a Disney Little Golden Book is Target Brands, Inc.